- Pajama/PJ Monday [please remember to wear PG PJs!]
- Time Travel Tuesday—get out your retro “rags”
- Wacky Wednesday—this could get interesting!
- Jersey Thursday... Does this mean your clothes have to be from New Jersey?
- Friday is costume day or Friends School Spirit Day. No masks, but if you dare to come in costume, we will take pictures!
- at 11:00 AM, Ashleigh O'Rourke of Sacred Heart University in Connecticut will be here to speak with students;
- at 12:30 PM, Nancy Benninger of Guilford College will be here to speak with interested students;
- at 5:30 PM, the Virginia Beach City Public Schools College Night takes place. This is open to anyone, and it is a great opportunity for students from 9th through 12th grade to meet with representatives from multiple colleges and learn about financial aid opportunities too!
On Friday morning the Early School students will parade through the US and trick or treat classes, so be prepared! In the evening we have the Halloween Carnival and the Chili Cook-off. Get your Carnival tickets ahead of time and come and enjoy a variety of activities. Please note, there will NOT be a dance after the carnival.
The Class of 2017 is selling lunch from Taste Unlimited on Tuesdays. Check with Teacher Nicola, Teacher Jeff, or a member of the Class of 2017 to order. You may download a form from the sidebar.
The Class of 2016 is selling Tropical Smoothies for lunch on Wednesdays. Orders need to be placed by Tuesday afternoon! Please see a member of the Class of 2016 for ordering information.
The Class of 2018 is selling Firehouse subs for lunch on Thursdays. Orders MUST be placed by Wednesday afternoon. Please see a member of the Class of 2018 to order. You may download a form from the sidebar.
The Class of 2019 has cheese and pepperoni pizza available from Papa John's on Fridays for $1.50 a slice. This may be pre-ordered on Friday mornings during Advisory.
Advanced Composition: The Cause and Effect paper is due on Thursday, October 29th. As part of the I-Search process, we will explore explore Chapter 21: “The Research Paper” and Chapter 22: “Documenting Sources.” Most of you have given some thought as to what your topic will be, so this week you need to get started on planning your search! Please remember to bring a book to read for SSR to class each day. Also, you should be bringing your writer's daybook/journal to class and making at least one entry per week during SSR.
American Short Story: Response Paper 1 is due Wednesday, October 28th. We will continue our readings in Unit 2, “Literature from the 1950s and 1960s.” We have three selections to read this week:
- “Harrison Bergeron”
- “Everything that Rises Must Converge”
- “A & P”
Art History I: This week we will finish our exploration of Early Renaissance Art, and we have a LOT of reading to do:
- Italian Renaissance Sculpture i
- Masaccio: The Holy Trinity
- Italian Renaissance Painting 1
- Fra Angelico: The San Marco Annunciation
- Italian Painting 2: Tuscany in Mid-Century
- Piero della Francesca: The Flagellation
- Italian Sculpture 2: New Modes and Types
- Italian Painting 3: Florence and Rome
- Botticelli: Primavera
- Renaissance Painting in North and Central Italy
- Renaissance Painting in Venice
Fundamentals of Composition: Don't forget, the narrative essay is due on Monday, October 26th! Remember as you revise that you need to focus on the grammar issues I pointed out for you to work on when I returned your critiques! This week we will work on Chapter 7: “Process Analysis, Explaining How,” and we will read two different kinds of process analysis essays:
- “Fast Track to Perfection”
- “Waves of Destruction”
Science Fiction/Fantasy: You need to have finished Dune as your postcards from Arrakis are due on Friday, the 28th [yes, I moved the date out as a couple of you will be out during the first part of the week]. We will be watching David Lynch's version of Dune and beginning our next novel: The Martian Chronicles. I will have your new blog post up by Monday afternoon, and then you will need to make your original post by Thursday at midnight and the follow-up response to a classmate by Saturday at midnight.
The Word--The Old Testament: We will finish watching Samson and Delilah, and then move on to Unit 5: Kingdom and Exile, reading Chapter 10: “David the King” and then watching The Bible Collection: David.
Advanced Placement Comparative Government: Please make sure you are following the pacing guide for the class; remember, regardless of whether or not WE have class/school, Virtual Virginia is available, and you may have assignments due!
Advanced Placement Psychology: Please make sure you are following the pacing guide for the class; remember, regardless of whether or not WE have class/school, Virtual Virginia is available, and you may have assignments due!
Creative Writing [online]: Please make sure you are following the pacing guide for the class; remember, regardless of whether or not WE have class/school, Virtual Virginia is available, and you may have assignments due!
Latin II [online]: Please make sure you are following the pacing guide for the class; remember, regardless of whether or not WE have class/school, Virtual Virginia is available, and you may have assignments due!
This is an A week, and it is the last week of the first quarter!
Teacher Barb :)