Those of you who were in classes that ended last week should return the textbooks for those classes, if you have not already done so. If you are enrolled in a class that begins this week, you may need to check out more textbooks for your new classes.
Just a reminder, the following lunch options are available in Upper School in addition to microwaves for heating lunches from home:
- Mondays: Mei Zhen Chinese food. Please order from the senior class before 10:00 on Mondays. Prices vary—see the menus and add $2.00 for tax and delivery.
- Tuesdays: Subway from the Class of 2017. Three “sizes” are available: a 6-inch sub box with chips and a cookie for $6, a 12-inch full sub for $6, and a 6-inch sub for $4. Please get your order in to the 10th grade before 8:30 on Tuesdays!
- Wednesdays: Panera Bread sandwiches and salads are available from the Class of 2016, and prices vary. Orders MUST be placed with the junior class by 8:20 on Wednesday mornings!
- Thursdays: The Class of 2018 has Moe's and Chick-Fil-A options available. Please see a member of the freshman class by Wednesday afternoon if you would like to place an order!
- Fridays: The Class of 2015 has cheese and pepperoni pizza for $1.50 a slice available from Papa John's. The seniors will take orders during Advisory on Friday, but there are usually additional slices available right up until lunch time.
American Literature: I will have your syllabus ready for you on Wednesday! We will be picking up “the cinderblock” as well, so make sure that you have returned Strategies for Successful Writing to the library.
Advanced Placement Calculus AB: Please be sure that you are where you need to be in this online class! You may want to use Khan Academy to reinforce any concepts you are having trouble with. If you have tests scheduled, you MUST be ready to take these on time on the days when your class is scheduled with me!
Advanced Placement English Language and Composition: Please be sure that you are where you need to be in this online class as there is LOTS of reading to do!
Advanced Placement Psychology: Please be sure that you are where you need to be in this online class! If you have tests scheduled, you MUST be ready to take these on time on days when your class is scheduled with me!
Contemporary Fiction: I will not have your syllabus ready this week. However, we will begin reading David Baldacci's Wish You Were Here. Additionally, this class has a blog component which is already “up” for you, and you are required to make a post by Thursday night at midnight....
Psychology [online]: Your class will begin this week, so you will need to check out the textbook and log-in to Virtual Virginia to get started. It is essential that you stay on track as once you get behind in an online class, it is difficult to get caught up again!
Shakespeare's Comedies and Poetry: I hope to have your syllabus ready for you on Thursday, but in any case, we will begin with a brief introduction to the class and then watch a filmed adaptation of As You Like It, which I hope you will like!
World Literature: I hope to have your syllabus ready for Thursday. We will be using “the brick” this term, so one of the first things we will need to do is check this out from the library. If you were in Fundamentals of Composition last semester, make sure that you have returned Strategies for Successful Writing to the library. After a quick introduction to the course, we will begin with our first unit, Travel and Self-Recognition in the Face of the Other with the following:
- “The Invention of Writing and the Earliest Literatures” (pages 3-9)
- “Ancient Greece and the Formation of the Western Mind” (pages 87-95)
This is an A week, and we will be joined by a new student, Charlie, in the 9th grade. In addition, Meredith will be visiting with us in the 10th grade. I look forward to this new semester with all of you!
Teacher Barb :)