Class of 2015: We have the list from Spirit Rising of Mattaponi children who are in need of sponsors for Christmas this year, and we will choose one and get started on our plans for fulfilling his/her wish list as our holiday service project this year. We participated in this last year, and it made the holidays so much more meaningful for us, I think. Don't forget, we also need to make a decision about what we are bringing to the Thanksgiving Feast, and we are collecting food donations for Spirit Rising for Thanksgiving.
Advanced Composition: We continue with our exploration of Chapter 12: “Definition—Establishing Boundaries.” Because we got slightly behind, we will be doing all of the chapter readings this week, to include:
- “The Sweet Smell of Success Isn't All That Sweet”
- “The Blended Economy”
- “Introduction” from Nothing Feels Good: Punk Rock, Teenagers, and Emo
- “When is it Rape?”
Art History: We will finish watching The Agony and the Ecstasy, and try to catch up with some reading. We are focusing on the Sixteenth Century this week:
- The High Renaissance 2: Venice
- The High Renaissance 3: North Italy
- Dürer and Grünewald
- Painting in Germany before the Reformation
- Sculpture in Germany: Late Gothic and Italianate
- Netherlandish and French Painting
- Mannerist Painting in Italy 1
- Mannerism 2: The Medici and the French Kings
- Mannerist Sculpture in Italy
- Painting in Venice: Tintoretto and Veronese
- Art in Spain: El Greco.
Fundamentals of English Composition: This week we turn to Chapter 10: “Comparison: Showing Relationships.” Additionally we will have some time in Writing Workshop to work on the Process Analysis papers which are due on Friday, November 15th! Also, we ARE still doing Sustained Silent Reading EVERY day when class begins, so you need to bring a book [and your journals] EVERY DAY to class or you are losing participation points!
Science Fiction/Fantasy: Reminder, you have a response paper due on Wednesday, November 13th. Select which question you will answer and get started on this if you have not done so already! I hope you are enjoying the journey with the Hani and Tully on The Pride of Chanur through Compact Space! Don’t forget to make two posts to our class blog each week!
The Word--The Old Testament in Art, History, Literature, Music, and Culture: This week we will focus on Unit Five: Kingdom and Exile, reading:
- Chapter 11: The Kingdom Falls
- Unit Feature: Exile and Return
- Chapter 12: Warning and Comfort
- Chapter 13: Called to Account
- Unit Feature: Thirst for Justice.
Congratulations to Maddie on her acceptance to Saint Andrews University! This week the admissions representative form Virginia Wesleyan College will be visiting with us on Tuesday, November 12th at 10:30. If you are planning to participate in the Lowe School Pajama Day celebration, don't forget to buy your ticket so that you can wear your PJs on Friday the 15th!
This is a B week.
Teacher Barb :)