This year we have a simplified book fair, and it will be held in the library all this week during school hours. The Book Fair will close early on Wednesday the 14th as this is an Administrative Half Day: first and second block classes will meet this time.
Advanced Composition: You should be bringing a book of your choice to class for SSR each day, AND you should be writing in your journals. This week we will read two more selections from our reader that illustrate the definition compositional method:
- “Introduction” from Nothing Feels Good: Punk Rock, Teenagers, and Emo; and,
- “When is it Rape?”
Art History: This week we will finish watching The Agony and the Ecstasy and then we will watch another episode [Episode Five: “Realms of Light: The Baroque”] from Art of the Western World: Art History from Ancient Greece to Andy Warhol. And read several selections from our textbook:
- “The High Renaissance 2: Venice”;
- “The High Renaissance 3: North Italy”;
- “Dürer and Grünewald”;
- “Painting in Germany before the Reformation”;
- “Sculpture in Germany: Late Gothic and Italianate”; and
- “Netherlandish and French Painting.”
Creative Writing: Don’t forget to keep up with the reading and practice assignments in Wild Mind for this week:
- “Who Gave You Permission?”
- “Try This”
- “Try This”
Film as Literature: We are a little skewed in what we are reading and watching, but I know we will come out right, so I am not worrying about this. Please make certain that you have read Chapter 5: “Acting” for this week. As soon as we finish Fiddler on the Roof, we will review this chapter. Reminder: the open book/take home quiz for Chapter 4 is due on Tuesday, the 13th. Since we have not gone over Chapter 5 yet, the Chapter 5 quiz is moved to Tuesday, November 20th.
Fundamentals of Composition: We will work on Chapter 10: “Comparison—Showing Relationships” this week. Please note, the Process Analysis paper will still be due on Friday, November 16th. Don’t forget to bring a book for SSR each day and continue writing in your journals.
Publications and Media: We need to get the 2011-2012 book finished. Our deadline for this is Wednesday, November 14th, so we have VERY little time left to set this up for “burning” on the 16th!
This is a busy week for those of you interested in learning more about college and university opportunities!
Tuesday, November 13th:
- Whitney Moore will be here from Methodist University at 10:30 to speak with interested students.
- Virginia Beach City Public Schools College Fair from 5:30 to 8:00 at the Pavilion. This is open to anyone, so please consider going and learning more about different colleges who will have admissions representatives in attendance. This year, Students may streamline their college night experience by registering for a personalized barcode that eliminates the need for filling out information cards at each school's table. Information and the code is available at http://gotocollegefairs.org/.
- Bill Detrick will be here from High Point University at 10:30 to speak with interested students.
- Melissa Ward will be here from Manhattan College at 10:30 to speak with interested students.
Have a great week!
Teacher Barb :)