- Scott Baytosh, Head of School at Alexandria Country Day School,
- Elizabeth Poole, Head of School at Linton Hall School,
- Lynne Berkness, Director of Development at Northstar Academy, and,
- Ann Feeley-Leetz, Business Manager and CFO at Browne Academy.
We have representatives from two colleges/universities visiting with us on Tuesday:
- At 9:30, Angela McDuffie of the International Student Program at James Madison University will be here to talk about JMU and other schools which have international student programs.
- At 10:15, Sarah Ann will be here to share information about Lynchburg College.
Menus for the lunch offerings can be downloaded at the right. The Class of 2018 will have lunch available from Taste Unlimited on Mondays; The Class of 2021 offers lunch from SaladWorks on Tuesdays; the Class of 2019 offers lunch from Tropical Smoothie on Wednesdays; and the Class of 2018 offers lunch from Firehouse Subs on Thursdays. Students may order pizza through the main office for lunch on Fridays.
Advanced Composition: Please remember to bring a book to read for SSR, your textbook, and your CHARGED ChromeBook to class each day! We will continue with Chapter 13: “Argument—Convincing Others.” So please read this chapter before coming to class on Tuesday. After Reviewing the chapter, we will read two examples of argument:
- “Yes, Don't Impede Medical Progress” and,
- “A Journalist's View of Black Economics.”
American Short Story: The Unit Two Test has been moved to THURSDAY, the 14th, and Response Paper 2 is due Thursday as well. We will continue with the third unit, the 1970s and 1980s with three stories:
- “Where Have You Gone, Charming Billy?””
- “Everything Stuck to Him”
- “Detroit Skyline, 1949”
Art History I: This week we begin a new unit: The Baroque Era: the 17th Century, and we have a few chapters to read and some documentaries, too:
- Michelangelo da Caravaggio
- Simon Schama's Power of Art: “Caravaggio”
- Every Picture Tells a Story, Episode 5: “Boy Bitten by a Lizard by Caravaggio”
- The Carracci and their Pupils
- The High Baroque in Rome
Fundamentals of Composition: Reminder: your process analysis paper is due on Friday, November 17th! Please remember to bring a book to read for SSR. You also need to bring Strategies for Successful Writing and your CHARGED ChromeBook to class EVERY day. This week we will work on Chapter 10: “Comparison—Showing Relationships,” and we will look at two examples of comparisons as well:
- “Grant and Lee, a Study in Contrasts”
- “Conversational Ballgames”
The Word I—the Old Testament/Hebrew Bible: The Art in the Old Testament VoiceThreads are due on Friday the 17th! This week we turn to Unit Six: The Prophets with three chapters:
- Chapter 12: Warning and Comfort
- Chapter 13: Called to Account
- Unit Feature: Thirst for Justice
- The Bible Collection: Jeremiah and
- The Bible in Animation—Jonah.
This is an A week.
Teacher Barb :)