Welcome back! I hope you had a nice break and are ready to get back to work; there are only two weeks left of the first semester! With any luck, I will have course choices for you this week, based on what you are currently taking and what required courses you need to stay on track for graduation, which is coming fast now for the Class of 2014!
Class of 2015: Please welcome Sara F. as the newest member of the Class of 2015. Don’t forget, the first Friday monthly breakfast for January is this Friday, January 10th!
Advanced Composition: This week we will be finishing up with Strategies for Successful Writing with two readings from Chapter 14: Mixing the Writing Strategies:
- “Social Bodies: Tightening the Bonds of Beauty” and
- “Gender Gap in Cyberspace”
Art History I: We begin the 18th century this week in our continuing study of the Baroque Era with a documentary and some reading. We will begin with:
- Art of the Western World: Art History from Ancient Greece to Andy Warhol, Episode Six: “An Age of Reason, and Age of Passion.”
- Tiepolo: The Residence at Würzburg
- Watteau: The Embarkation for Cythera
- French and German Rococo
- French Rococo 2: Portraiture and Sculpture
- Genre and Still-Life Painting
- Chardin: The House of Cards
- William Hogarth
- British Portraiture and Genre
Fundamentals of Composition: This week we will review Chapter 22: Documenting Sources as a resource for your writing. We will also have time for you to finish reading the book you have selected for your Literature Project which is due on Thursday, January 16th. Remember, you will be presenting this to the class, so think of how you plan to convince us to read the book you have been reading!
Science Fiction/Fantasy: While we continue reading The Naked Sun, we will be watching A Wizard of Earthsea. We will also discuss your second response paper on the book or film of your choice which will be due on Wednesday, January 15th. Don’t forget to respond to this week’s blog post by Saturday, the 11th, at midnight! Reminder: Postcards from Solaria will be due on Friday, January 10th!
The Word: Art, History, Literature, and Music in the Old Testament: We will finish One Night with the King [which we left off with at the break] and then read the final chapters from Unit Seven B: Writings and Wisdom:
- Chapter 19: “Visions of the Future”
- Chapter 20: “Renewed Commitment”
- Unit Feature: “The Bible and Shakespeare
- Adam and Eve: Rikki
- Cain and Abel: Zoie
- Noah: Sarah O.
- Abraham and Sarah: Sarah P.
- Isaac: Seth
- Hagar and Ishmael:
- Jacob [Israel]:
- Joseph—the Dreamer: Alex
- Moses: Kaleigh
- Sampson and Delilah: Brielle
- Samuel: Sam
- Saul: Barbara
- David: Paddy
- Solomon: Thomas
- Isaiah [could be one person or as many as three people, depending upon the point of view...}:
- Ezekiel: Walker
- Jonah: Lydia
This is an A week!
Teacher Barb :)