We have welcomed some new students to the Upper School. Please make sure that you have said "hi" to Harvey , Jack , Joey , Olivia , and Sherry !
Class of 2019: Don't forget, our monthly breakfast is Friday. Please check Jupiter if you need a reminder of what you have signed up for. This week we will also get started on our biggest fundraiser-- Valentine's Day carnations! To order, download the form at the right or pick up a copy in Advisory.
American Literature: Multimedia Project 1 is due on Tuesday, the 2nd! Each of you will present, in the role of the teacher, the selection you have chosen:
- Sydney R: The Iroquois Creation Story
- Kenneth: Pima Stories of the Beginning of the World
- Vaughan: Christopher Columbus
- Joey: Alvar Nunez Cabeza de Vaca
- Sydney B: Thomas Harriot
- Alise: John Smith
- Lasley: William Bradford
- Charlie: John Winthrop
- Benny: Roger Williams
- Jake: Anne Bradstreet
- Yvette: Mary Rowlandson
- Immanuel: Edward Taylor
- Tessa: Cotton Mather
Art History II: This week we move to China with a documentary, several reading selections, and a virtual tour of the Metropolitan Museum of Art:
- Ancient China--A Journey Back in Time
- "Chinese Art 1: Relics of the Tombs"
- "Chinese Art 2: Buddhist Art"
- "Song Porcelain"
- "Chinese Art 3: Landscape Painting"
- GREAT MUSEUMS: China--East Meets West at the Metropolitan Museum of Art
Poetry & Nonfiction: We will talk about the Poets and Poetry Project and write BioPoems. Once we have our textbooks, we will explore the book's website, check out The Favorite Poem Project, and look at some poetry to get some ideas for poets/techniques for the midterm project.
Shakespeare's Tragedies and Histories: This week we will finish reading out Romeo and Juliet and then begin the 1968 filmed version. Don't forget to keep looking for some quotations you might use in the Scrap It! assignment.
The Word--The New Testament: We will finish Unit 8, Another Covenant:
- Chapter 21: "Living Tradition"
- Chapter 22: "Other Jewish Texts in the Christian Bible"
- Chapter 23: "The New Testament"
- Unit Feature: "A Summary of Literary Genres in the Bible."
World Literature: We will finish Troy and then watch The Odyssey in preparation for a project involving the Greek and Roman Gods and Goddesses.
Online Classes: please make sure that you are on track and on task!
This is an A week. At the end of the week, the Quaker Youth Leaders will be travelling to Rhode Island for the annual QYL get-together. In planning ahead, Senior Night is Monday the 8th, and team athletes who are seniors will be honored that night during the game.
Don't forget to order carnations for someone special!
Teacher Barb :)