- Wednesday, September 10th we have school pictures, and the Upper School students are scheduled to have their pictures taken between 8:15 and 8:45 in the morning, so please be here on time, and dress nicely!
- Thursday, September 11th is the annual Back to School Picnic, beginning at 5:30 PM. Snow cones will be available, along with a bounce house. Please bring a dish to share and come join the fun!
- Saturday, September 13th at 9:00 AM I will be presenting a College Counseling Workshop for US students and families. Please note that the date for this has changed from the 27th so that more of our students may participate in the Neptune Festival Sand Castle Classic with Teacher James and Teacher Danny. If you plan to attend the College Counseling Workshop, please let me know [by email] as soon as possible so that I will have enough materials for everyone attending! The workshop is recommended MOST strongly for Juniors, but other students and families are welcome to attend.
Advanced Composition: This week we begin Chapter 9: “Classification, Grouping into Categories. Our first major paper assignment is to write a Classification paper, and this paper will be due on Friday, October 3rd [please note that the syllabus has the wrong date—we do not have school on the 4th, a Saturday!]. As part of our discussion about how to select and develop categories as part of writing a classification paper, we will be looking at a documentary about the Japanese American Internment Experience, Only the Brave or Go For Broke. The documentary may add insight to your reading of When the Emperor was Divine. Please do not forget to bring the book to class every day for SSR!
AP Calculus AB: Virtual Virginia is in the process of changing its domain name to https://virtualvirginia.desire2learn.com This change will take place at 5:00 PM on Friday, September 19th. Please be sure that you are where you need to be in this online class! You may want to use Khan Academy to reinforce any concepts you are having trouble with!
AP English Language and Composition: Virtual Virginia is in the process of changing its domain name to
https://virtualvirginia.desire2learn.com This change will take place at 5:00 PM on Friday, September 19th. Please be sure that you are where you need to be in this online class! Their Eyes were Watching God is now available for you in the library!
AP Psychology: Virtual Virginia is in the process of changing its domain name to https://virtualvirginia.desire2learn.com This change will take place at 5:00 PM on Friday, September 19th. Did you check your textbook out of the library yet? Please be sure that you are where you need to be in this online class!
Art History I: This week we will continue with our exploration of Ancient Worlds with tow documentaries and readings from the textbook, so please bring your book to class each day and be prepared to read!
- Unlocking the Great Pyramid [DVD]
- “Western Asian Art”
- “The Lion Hunt Reliefs from Ninevah”
- “Cycladic, Minoan, and Mycenaean Art”
- “Archaic Greek and Etruscan Art”
- How Art Made the World: “Once Upon a Time” [DVD]Art of the Western World: Art History from Ancient Greece to Andy Warhol, Episode One “The Classical Ideal” [DVD]
Creative Writing: This week we will be using some music prompts and doing some observational writing. In addition, you should read the following chapters in Writing Down the Bones:
- “Artistic Stability”
- “A List of Topics for Writing Practice”
Film as Literature: Please make sure that you skim through chapter one of your textbook, “What is a Movie?” because we will be reviewing this chapter and discussing the following concepts:
- Form and Content
- Form and Expectations
- Principles of Film Form
- Realism and Antirealism
- Cinematic Language
- Types of Movies
Fundamentals of Composition: This week we continue with Chapter 2, “Strategies for Successful Reading” in our Strategies for Successful Writing textbook. Please do not forget to bring The Alchemist to class each day for SSR. You need to complete your reading by Friday. If you have finished this novel, then you may bring any other novel you are reading to class for SSR. During the time we have allotted for Writing Workshop, we will talk a bit more about the critique you will write for The Alchemist which is due on October 2nd.
Mystery Fiction: I hope you are enjoying the book—keep reading! Don't forget that our class discussion takes place on our class blog and that each of you must post one original comment in response to my prompt by Thursday, and then each of you should respond to someone else's post by Saturday midnight if you are to earn full credit for this course requirement! You need to finish the book this week! Don't forget to place your guess for “who done it” in the back of the book or in some other safe place before you finish. Will you solve the mystery correctly before Friday? Reminder: your Postcards from Amelia [see the handout for this assignment] are due on Friday the 12th!
As a reminder, this is our first B week, so Friday will be a B day!
Teacher Barb :)