This week we have a new student joining us, Brian is from Taiwan and will join the Class of 2016 for the semester as he takes some enrichment classes in preparation for entering TCC. Please welcome him to our community!
Class of 2019: This week we will be working on our biggest fundraiser-- Valentine's Day carnations! Orders must be placed by 4:00 on Tuesday, February 9th for delivery on Thursday, February 11th. To order, download the form at the right or pick up a copy in Advisory.
American Literature: We will finish the Multimedia Project 1 presentations:
- Sydney R: The Iroquois Creation Story
- Vaughan: Christopher Columbus
- Jake: Anne Bradstreet
After the presentations, we will begin a new unit: Early American Literature 1700-1820: An Expanding World Leads to an Enlightenment, A Great Awakening, and a National Identity. Within this unit, the reading selections are broken into “voices”:
- Religious Voices
- Jonathan Edwards: “Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God”
- John Woolman: “Journal”
- Native America Voices
- Pontiac: “Speech at Detroit”
- Red Jacket: “Speech to the US Senate”
- Tecumseh: “Speech to the Osages”
- Political Voices
- Benjamin Franklin: “The Way of Wealth”
- John and Abigail Adams: “Letters”
- Thomas Paine: from “Common Sense” and “The Crisis”
- Thomas Jefferson: from The Autobiography
Art History II: This week we cover Korean and Japanese art with a documentary and several reading selections:
- “Korean Art”
- Lost Treasures of the Ancient World: Samurai Japan—A Journey Back in Time [DVD]
- "Japanese Art 1: Art of the Buddhist Temples”
- “Japanese Art 2: Zen Ink-Painting”
- “Japanese Art 3: Yamato-e”
- “Japanese Art 4: Ukiyo-e”
Poetry & Nonfiction: We will be doing an observational writing project this week, Cosmic Oranges. Don;t forget, we have a Poetry Friday this week, and you will need to bring 16 copies of your three poems to share with the group on Friday.
Shakespeare's Tragedies and Histories: This week we will finish watching the 1968 version of Romeo and Juliet before watching the 1996 version of Romeo + Juliet. Don't forget to keep looking for some quotations you might use in the Scrap It! assignment.
The Word--The New Testament: We will finish Unit 9, The Four Gospels:
- Chapter 25: “Matthew” [we left off on page 230]
- Chapter 26: "Luke”
- Chapter 27: "John”
- Unit Feature: "Parables of Mercy”
World Literature: We will finish The Odyssey and then move on to Beowulf and the Anglo-Saxons. We should have time to work on the Gods and Goddesses presentations as well.
Online Classes: please make sure that you are on track and on task!
This is a B week. Senior Night is Monday the 8th, and team athletes who are seniors will be honored that night during the game—come out and cheer for the senior who will be playing their last game for Friends School.
Don't forget to order carnations for someone special!
Hóunián dàjí !
Teacher Barb :)