- Monday: Pajama Day [Wear your APPROPRIATE PJs to school!]
- Tuesday: Wacky Tacky Tuesday [What's your craziest outfit?]
- Wednesday: Pink Day [Support breast cancer awareness!]
- Thursday: SCHOOL PICTURES!!!
- Friday: Sports Day [Support your favorite sports team!]
- Monday: Twin Day [Who's your look-alike?]
We have representatives from two colleges/universities visiting with us this week:
- Tuesday, the 17th, Libby Lakeman will be here to talk to us about Bryn Mawr College at 10:15 in the English classroom.
- Thursday, the 19th, Heather Campbell will be here to talk to us about Virginia Wesleyan University at 10:15 in the English classroom.
The Virginia Beach City Public School annual College Night is coming up; make plans to attend this free event on Tuesday, October 24th, and meet with many of the over 170 college admissions representatives who will be there. The VBCPS College Night starts at 5:30 and takes place at the Virginia Beach Convention Center.
Menus for the lunch offerings can be downloaded at the right. The Class of 2018 will have lunch available from Taste Unlimited on Mondays; The Class of 2020 offers lunch from SaladWorks on Tuesdays; the Class of 2019 offers lunch from Tropical Smoothie on Wednesdays; and the Class of 2018 offers lunch from Firehouse Subs on Thursdays. Students may order pizza through the main office for lunch on Fridays.
The Early and Lower School students will be dropping by to trick or treat the US on Halloween, so we will have our first ever Cubby Decorating Contest to get ourselves in the "spirit" of Halloween! The three winning cubby decorators will be recieving Starbucks gift cards, so move your bones and let's get this place decorated!
Advanced Composition: Please remember to bring a book to read for SSR, your textbook, and your CHARGED ChromeBook to class each day! We will finish Rabbit in the Moon and then continue our discussion of the I-Search project, familiarizing ourselves with Chapter 21: The Research Paper” and chapter 22: “Documenting Sources.” During Writing Workshop time you may work on your Cause and Effect papers. Note: journal entries are due by 4:00 on Friday.
American Short Story: We will continue with the second unit, the 1950s and 1960s with three very different stories:
- “Barn Burning”
- “Angel Levine”
- “The Wrysons”
Art History I: This week we continue with the Early Renaissance Art with LOTS of chapters from our textbook and one documentary:
- Netherlandish Art 2: Rogier van der Weyden
- Netherlandish Art 3 and its Diffusion
- Bosch: “The Garden of Earthly Delights”
- Italian Renaissance Sculpture 1
- Masaccio: “The Holy Trinity
- Italian Renaissance Painting 1
- Fra Angelico: “The San Marco Annunciation”
- Italian Painting 2: Tuscany in Mid-Century
- Piero della Francesca: “The Flagellation”
- Italian Sculpture 2: New Modes and Types
- Italian Painting 3: Florence and Rome
- Botticelli: “Primavera”
- Every Picture Tells a Story, Episode 4: “The Birth of Venus by Botticelli”
- Renaissance Painting in North and Central Italy
- Renaissance Painting in Venice
Fundamentals of Composition: Please remember to bring a book to read for SSR. You also need to bring Strategies for Successful Writing and your CHARGED ChromeBook to class EVERY day. This week we continue with Chapter 6: “Description—Presenting Impressions.” We will read two nice examples of descriptive writing:
- “When the Full Moon Shines its Magic over Monument Valley”
- “Assembly Line Adventure”
The Word I—the Old Testament/Hebrew Bible: We will continue our viewing of one of the biggest Hollywood Biblical films of all time: The Ten Commandments: The 50th Anniversary Collection. Then we will turn to another Hollywood retelling of a famous biblical couple, Samson and Delilah. Please don't forget to be working on your Ten Commandments Glogster! These are due on October 23rd!
This week is a B week.
Teacher Barb :)