The Class of 2015 and the Class of 2016 will be creating and escorting tours to the Haunted Cottage during the Halloween Carnival. The following have signed up from the Class of 2015:
- Setting up/Decorating: Sam, Sky, Thomas, and Walker
- Performing: Courtney, Nicholas, Sam, Sarah, Thomas, and Zoie
- Cleaning up: Lane, Thomas, and Walker
The Admissions Representatives from Mary Baldwin College, Christopher Newport University, and Ferrum College will be visiting with us on Tuesday, October 21st in the US English classroom.
- Mary Baldwin College: 10:10 AM
- Christopher Newport University: 2:00 PM
- Ferrum College: 2:45 PM
The Class of 2015 continues to set records with the number of early admission offers they are receiving! Please offer your congratulations to Rikki who has been notified of her acceptance to Mary Baldwin College. She was offered a scholarship as well! Congratulations also go out to Lane who has been offered admission to Lynchburg College and Bridgewater College!
Advanced Composition: We will continue with our discussion of research methodologies and documenting sources—Chapters 21: “The Research Paper” and 22: “Documenting Sources.” Hopefully you are beginning to refine your thoughts into a question for your I-Search project! I have extended the due date for the Cause and Effect paper; your cause and effect essay is now due on Monday, October 27th.
Advanced Placement Calculus AB: Please be sure that you are where you need to be in this online class! You may want to use Khan Academy to reinforce any concepts you are having trouble with! If you have tests scheduled, you MUST be ready to take these on time on days when your class is scheduled with me!
Advanced Placement English Language and Composition: Please be sure that you are where you need to be in this online class as there is LOTS of reading to do!
Advanced Placement Psychology: Please be sure that you are where you need to be in this online class! If you have tests scheduled, you MUST be ready to take these on time on days when your class is scheduled with me!
Art History I: This week we continue with Early Renaissance Art, reading quite a few chapters:
- Italian Renaissance Sculpture 1
- Masaccio: “The Holy Trinity”
- Italian Renaissance Painting 1
- Fra Angelico: “The San Marco Annunciation”
- Italian Painting 2: Tuscany in Mid-Century
- Piero della Francesca: “The Flagellation”
- Italian Sculpture 2: New Modes and Types
- Italian Painting 3: Florence and Rome
- Botticelli: “Primavera”
- Renaissance Painting in North and Central Italy
- Renaissance Painting in Venice
Creative Writing: This week in Writing Down the Bones, we will be reading the following:
- “The Ordinary and the Extraordinary”
- “Talk is the Exercise Ground”
- “Writing is a Communal Act”
- “Be Specific”
- week 5: What's Your Obsession?
- Week 6: Take a line or a rhyme and make it thine!
- Week 7: What are YOUR dreams?
- Week 8: Observation from the Bagel Bakery and Four Picture Response
- Week 9: Story Starter piece
Film as Literature: For chapter 4: “Cinematography,” we will continue with Doctor Zhivago, followed by Lawrence of Arabia. You should continue exploring this chapter through the take-home quiz which is due on or before Wednesday, November 5th. I will also review your final assignment for this class, A Recipe for a Film [due January 12th]. Don't forget that your film review is due on Wednesday, October 29th!
Fundamentals of Composition: This week we turn to Chapter 7: “Process Analysis—Explaining How.” After a discussion concerning the two types of process papers, one for readers who will perform the process and one for readers seeking to understand a process, we will read two examples in our textbook:
- “Fast Track to Perfection”
- “Waves of Destruction”
Mystery Fiction: We will finish up Shinjū, with the Postcards from Medieval Japan due on Friday, October 24th. Remember, our class discussion takes place on our class blog and that each of you must post one original comment in response to my prompt by Thursday, and then each of you should respond to someone else's post by Saturday midnight if you are to earn full credit for this course requirement! Please be sure that you are posting to the correct blog entry and making your second post by Saturday at midnight for full credit! I AM deducting points for spelling and grammar mistakes, so be mindful of this as you post! We will move to modern Japan for our next book, The Salaryman's Wife.
This is a B week, so Friday is a B day.
Have a great week!
Teacher Barb :)